Quality Lesson Plans for Outdoor Education Book
Book features 21 units with 140 camping lesson plans that are adaptable for any program or class.
A great resource for PE teachers and youth outdoor recreation leaders, this book provides the essentials of outdoor education and techniques for preparing and delivering effective lessons. It offers units in camping, navigation, environmental ethics, mountain biking, archery, and more. Each book includes a supplemental CD.
Successful Outdoor Unit
This book provides flexible and adaptable activities that can be implemented in almost any location. All activities have been field tested and allow for easy planning of outdoor topics. An included CD provides a variety of different worksheets and resources for the teacher. The CD makes it easy for teachers to search for and print the resources they wish to use in their units. There are 21 units and 140 lessons between the book and CD!
Each unit in this 448-page book starts by covering equipment, site selection, social skills and etiquette, and risk management before outlining lessons.
- Unit 1. Core Camping Skills
- Unit 2. Navigation
- Unit 3. Environmental Ethics: Caring for Resources
- Unit 4. Hiking and Backpacking
- Unit 5. Rock Climbing
- Unit 6. Mountain Biking
- Unit 7. Flatwater Canoeing
- Unit 8. Whitewater Canoeing
- Unit 9. Sea Kayaking
- Unit 10. Nordic Skiing
- Unit 11. Snowshoeing
- Unit 12. Archery
- Unit 13. Fly Casting and Fly Fishing
- Unit 14. Whitewater Kayaking
- Unit 15. Alpine Skiing
- Unit 16. Telemark Skiing
- Unit 17. Spin-Cast Fishing
- Unit 18. Weather
- Unit 19. Staying Safe and Comfortable in the Outdoors
- Unit 20. Risk Management
- Unit 21. Leadership and Group Development